Complex ethics-related challenges can arise at any point along the critical path of the innovation lifecycle in global health research. These challenges may involve the nature of the innovation itself, the involvement of actors that hold diverse and sometimes conflicting values and interests, and the policy environment which may be unprepared to support the development, testing, introduction, and adoption of potentially lifesaving innovations.
Our research addresses a broad spectrum of issues, including, but not limited to the following :
- Data Governance and Data Sharing
- Clinical and Field Trials
- Infectious Disease Elimination and Eradication
- Inclusiveness of Women and Girls, and Affected Persons perspectives in research
- Emerson CI, Singer PA. Is there an ethical obligation to complete polio eradication? The Lancet. 2010;375(9723):1340-1341.
- Emerson CI, Singer PA, Upshur REG. Access and use of human tissues from the developing world: ethical challenges and a way forward using a tissue trust. BMC Medical Ethics. 2011;12(2):1-5.
- Lavery JV, Green SK, Bandewar SV, Bhan A, Daar A, Emerson CI et al. Addressing Ethical, Social, and Cultural Issues in Global Health Research. PLoS NTD. 2013:7(8):e2227.
- Willison DJ, Ondrusek N, Dawson A, Emerson C, et al. What makes public health studies ethical? Dissolving the boundary between research and practice. BMC Med Ethics 2014; 15:61.
- Van PanHuis WG, Proma P, Emerson C, Grefenstette J, et al. A systematic review of barriers to data sharing in public health. BMC Public Health. 2014:14:1144
- Starks AM, Aviles E, Cirillo DM, Denkinger CM, Dolinger DL, Emerson C, Gallarda J, et al. Collaborative Effort for a Centralized Worldwide Tuberculosis Relational Sequencing Data Platform. Clin Infect Dis. 2015: 61(S3):S141.
- Olsen, SH, Emerson C. Strengthen the Means of Implementation and Revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development. In Review of Targets for the Sustainable Development Goals: The Science Perspective. (Paris: International Council for Science and International Social Science Council, 2015).